January 19, 2016
It’s Healthy Weight Week and Epic is here to help your family focus on nutrition and fitness goals. Health in the home starts with the adults, and the health of the care providers determines the quality of care they are able to provide our patients. Here are 10 tips for maintaining a healthy weight in a world of fast food, fad diets, and festive lattes:
- Do not skip meals. It’s harder to make smart diet choices when you’re hungry.
- Beware of beverages. Restrict or avoid highly sweetened beverages to 0-2 cups per day. Stay ahead of the temptation to drink a calorie-rich brew, and try this tasty fruit punch to fill the temptation:
Grape Berry Punch (yield 2.5 cups)
- 1 cup green grapes
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients into blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to high.
- Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Fill up on healthy foods. Eat fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, beans, peas, lentils, and water-based soups that will fill you up without filling you out.
- Chew gum. Chew gum during cooking to avoid snacking, and therefore over-eating.
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water to avoid high-calorie drinks, over-consumption, and to help keep your digestion moving.
- Practice portion control. Use a smaller salad plate instead of a large dinner plate to avoid excessive portions.
- Be selective. Save your calories for the foods you love and skip on mindless snacking.
- Make time for conversation. Spend more time talking to family and friends during the meal instead of quickly devouring your plate.
- Skip on second helpings.
- Be active. Exercising speeds up your metabolism to burn the calories faster.
We have several Registered Dietitians on our team for nutritional expertise and beyond. Implement these tips to ignite a healthy lifestyle in your home and promote Epic’s continuum of care for the whole family. For more information on our services, contact us today.