November 20, 2012
It’s that time of year when friends and families come together to celebrate the holiday season. For most of us, we will either be traveling to people’s houses or hosting get-togethers at our own homes.
But if you’re planning to host a friend or loved one with special needs — difficulty walking or using a cane, walker or wheelchair — making simple changes to ensure a safe, comfortable environment should be tops on your to-do list.
According to the University of Michigan Health System, there are five simple steps people can take to reduce or eliminate safety issues in the home:
- Make a clear path from the driveway to the front door
- Provide adequate outdoor lighting for guests to walk to and from the front door
- Remove all throw rugs and runners while guests are visiting
- Secure or remove cords and wires to ensure they are not in the flow of traffic
- Remove clutter off the floors
The good news is that it doesn’t have to cost anything or take a long time to provide an environment that is welcoming to all. And your guests will thank you for making the effort.
From our family at Epic to yours, we wish you a very safe and Happy Thanksgiving.