August 20, 2014
Summer is winding down and many families are busy preparing for the new school year. You may have finished your child’s back-to-school shopping, but have you addressed your child’s health and preventive care needs in preparation for the new school year?
To help you stay organized during this hectic time, we’re sharing the following must-dos to help ensure a happy and healthy school year for your child.
- Physical Exam – Take your child for a physical before school starts and ensure his/her immunizations are up-to-date. Most schools require documentation. If your child plays any sports, his/her doctor may need to sign a release form. Keep a copy of the signed form for your records.
- Hearing and Vision Exams – Take your child to have his/her hearing and vision checked before the new school year to ensure they are ready to learn.
- Dental Exam – If your child hasn’t been to the dentist in the past 12 months, schedule an appointment for him/her.
- Special Needs – If your child has special needs, inform your child’s teacher(s) in advance of any allergies, sensitivities or medical restrictions.
- Prescription Medications – If your child takes prescription medications, contact the school to determine what steps you should take to have your child’s medicine(s) available to him/her at school in case of an emergency.
- Backpack Safety – Ensure your child is wearing his or her backpack properly and safely with these three steps to backpack safety.
For more back-to-school tips, visit the websites for USA.gov or McLane Children’s Hospital Healthy Children Thrive blog.