August 24, 2017
Can we caregivers take a minute and be completely vulnerable and transparent? Caring for children with special needs is tough work. The days can be long and the challenges tall, but please know that Epic Health Services is here to support you and your family every step of the way. Today we’d like to discuss a real issue facing countless families worldwide – caregiver burnout.
According to Web MD, “Caregiver burnout is a state of physical, emotional, and mental exhaustion that may be accompanied by a change in attitude — from positive and caring to negative and unconcerned. Burnout can occur when caregivers don’t get the help they need, or if they try to do more than they are able — either physically or financially. Caregivers who are “burned out” may experience fatigue, stress, anxiety, and depression. Many caregivers also feel guilty if they spend time on themselves rather than on their ill loved ones.”
Let’s recognize that caregiver burnout can happen to any of us. We’re not weak if it has already affected us, and we can try to prevent it going forward. Here are five ideas to help you catch your breath and prevent caregiver burnout for your sake and your family’s.
1. Take a deep breath, or lots of them for that matter. It is okay, and necessary, to step away from the situation for break once your loved one is safe and secure.
2. Indulge in a mindless activity to calm your nerves. Do something easy that you enjoy that requires little energy from you like watching your favorite TV show, reading a book, playing solitaire, or scrolling your social media newsfeed.
3. Take a long bath or shower. There is something so calming and mentally cleansing about the water.
4. Pray or meditate to find inner strength and rid your mind of toxic negative thoughts.
5. Ask for help. While other relatives and friends are great resources, your Epic care team is also ready to step in and help you however you need. Be proactive in your communication and we’ll do our best to serve you and your family to the best of our ability.
Epic Health Services is here for you. We care for the patient and their family as a whole. If you’re feeling like caregiver burnout is starting to affect you please let us know how we can take some stress off your shoulders. Together we will make sure your loved one not only survives, but thrives.