August 27, 2015
People are living longer thanks to advances in medical care and, with the extra years, comes more demand for those who provide in-home health services. A search of home health nurse jobs in the Phoenix area reveals more than 1,000 openings.
The U.S. Department of Health released a report in 2014 about the growing need for home health care nurses and aides. Among the findings:
- More than 800,000 health care providers and 1 million nurses needed by 2020 to replace vacancies left by retirees
- Number of personal aides grew by 118% between 2002-12
- Available jobs expected to grow 50% by 2022
While the overall job market has grown slowly, a 6% increase in all American jobs, the number of home health care jobs has boomed, growing by 60% in the last decade.
Epic Health Services is one fast-growing company, hiring 3,500 nurses and 500 therapists last year.
Becoming a home health aide is an easy process! Federal regulations for home health aides working in Medicare-certified facilities include:
- Completion of at least 75 hours of training programs relating to home health care
- At least 16 hours of supervised practical training
- Passing a competency evaluation on home health skills
- 12 hours yearly of continuing education
The Arizona Board of Nursing offers a training program for home health aides who want to become certified nursing assistants. Training usually takes about five to ten weeks or 75-120 hours.
A career as a home health nurse requires more time in school but often means a higher paying job. Diploma and associate’s degree programs are available at many 2-year community, vocational and technical colleges.
A career as a home health care nurse or aide can be rewarding and the need for more workers grows every day. If you’re thinking of a new career, consider this booming industry.
And if you’re looking for a rewarding career with a company that provides many opportunities for professional growth and development, then Epic is the place for you!
For information about joining the Epic nursing team, visit our careers page.